On a recent trip to Nashville, TN, Chef Julia Sullivan, of Henrietta Red, and I were determined to cook together. One thing led to another, and suddenly we were cooking for 12 beautiful and talented women in the home of Jen Auerbach. The event became a story for Domino Magazine, with some solid recipes that Julia and I developed together. This corn soup is creamy with coconut milk, and miraculously vegan if you skip the crab topping. To see the full story, and other recipes, click here.
CHILLED CORN SOUP
Yields 6 Portions
- 4 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- 1 ea White Onion, medium dice
- 1 ea Fennel Bulb, medium dice
- 1 ea Carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 ea Garlic Cloves, rough chopped
- 1 ea Serrano Pepper, seeded and rough chopped
- 4 cups Sweet Corn Kernels
- 16 oz Coconut Milk
- 16 oz Vegetable Stock
- 1 ea Star Anise
- 2 sprigs Tarragon
- 3 Tbsp Lime Juice
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- For Garnish:
- 6 oz Jumbo Lump Crab Meat, picked
- 1 tbsp Shallot, minced
- 1 tsp Serrano Pepper, minced
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lime Juice, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Heat grapeseed oil over medium-high heat. Sweat onion until translucent, add carrot and fennel, continue to seat until they begin to soften. Add garlic and serrano pepper, sweat until fragrant. Add corn kernels and cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to caramelize. Add coconut milk and vegetable stock, whisk together and bring to a simmer. Add star anise and tarragon. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until corn is tender – about 20-30 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender, not filling more than halfway at a time. Cover top with a kitchen towel and start blending slowly, gradually increasing to high speed. Puree until smooth, adjust seasoning to taste. Continue to puree soup in batches. Strain through a fine sieve into clean pot or bowl, using the back of a ladle to help push it through. Discard solids. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Chill soup for 6 hours to overnight. Stir in lime juice.
- Toss crab, shallot, and serrano peppers in EVOO, lime juice, and salt. Divide soup into 6 bowls. Garnish each serving crab salad and serve immediately.